Saturday, May 18, 2019

Why Linda? Why Petra?



This rocks, I took at Bedok Reservoir Park.


I have 2 Christian or Baptism names.
1st name is Linda. It means beautiful and pretty in Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. 2nd name is Petra. A female version of Peter means Solid Rock or Solid Stone. If I were to combine them together, it means Beautiful Rock. As you can see the title of my blog is Beautiful Rock.

Why Linda? Firstly, I wanted a Christian name that starts with 'L'. The reason is that both my English name and my Chinese start with 'L'. Primary 5, I gave myself this name, Linda. Back then, I didn't know what the meaning is until 2013, I went to search for the meaning. I always tend to deny that I am a beautiful person and/or pretty person wherever sometimes, my friends or people called me that because I don't think that I am. Definitely, my reply to this is, "No, I am not. Please don't ever call me that." I believe that I am a cute person but not a beautiful person or a pretty person. Actually, it took me a super long way to finally understand my true identity in Christ that really, “Ya, I am made beautifully by God's hand.” This verse in 1 Peter 2:9-10 has appeared to me so many times that I am a true princess of God.

Why Petra? A lot of times, I identify myself as Peter. Example: So quick to say something and so quick to identify someone. Like Peter, identify Jesus is the Messiah, the Anointed One (Matthew 16:16). Another similarity Peter looks onto wind and wave rather than fully trust that he can walk onto the water before he sinks (Matthew 14:28-31). If you were to bring this context into the present world, the wind and the wave are referring to the trial, problem, and suffering that I faced rather than fixing my eyes to the One who is Almighty. Lastly, my favourite verse that Peter ever spoke in his Sermon to the crowd was from Acts 2:38. Peter is the first few people to begin the early church.
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit".

In the Scripture, Peter spoke of this Beautiful Rock. In 1 Peter chapter 2, this stone is a living and a precious cornerstone of God’s temple. He was rejected by people, but he was chosen by God for great honour. We, Christian, are living stones that God is building into His spiritual temple/house. What’s more, we are His holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lastest Post

Dear God Challenge

Dear God, They are people out there, why did You choose me? I mean with so many scars, brokenness, underlying issues and mess up in my de...